Monday, May 19, 2008

New week

Lotus tea today, Korean, it's lovely.

We had a busy weekend (as ever) - Saturday went to shovel bag after bag of lovely old horse poo for the garden, and treated ourselves to a pub lunch afterwards (we'd worked up quite an appetite). The boy was really well behaved in the pub and it was lovely to spend time together as a family - it doesn't happen enough, really. I got tipsy on 2 pints and so we came home, looked glumly at the torrential rain turning the allotment to mud, and then watched telly and drank more cider. Fun.

Sunday, after a slightly slow start, for some reason, we spent all day in the allotment. Hubby earthed up the potatoes, manured up the squash bed, dug over the brassicas bed, swore a lot when he discovered the slugs have had half the contents of the seed bed. He planted out some of the squashes - well, a bit of everything really - turks turban, soya bean, cucumber, pumpkin, and so on...

I cut down the long grass around the raised beds, weeded most of the beds, including the bindweed that was wrapping itself around the nasturtiums, the evil thing. We planted out the sweetcorn and put up all the canes and wigwams, though we still want to add some support for the mangetout.

We tried out the new-from-last-weeks-boot fair bread maker and had a lovely loaf, so had bread, cheese and jam, sitting on a picnic rug in the garden, along with a few radishes from the allotment. It won't be long before we'll have broad beans either, so that's really exciting. We finally planted out the redcurrant bush too so that's going to be exciting as well, and I still can't quite believe we have a full row of parsnips, mmm.

After the boy went to bed, we finished watching 'A Cook on the Wild Side' at last, and I very-very-nearly finished knitting Rach's 'foxy' wristband, needed for the Expo next weekend. I should finish that tonight, as it's just sewing in ends, and then I can look into what next - birthday gifts? baby presents? something for me, or the boy? I can't wait. After doing Joe's Link gauntlets, and Jo's headband, it feels like ages since I knitted something for me...

Today I'm looking at MoneySavingExpert.com again - it's been a while - and reading up on breadmaking and that kinda thing. I need to get back in the swing of being Old Style :) Tonight when hubby gets home we're going to go do some work in the garden, then after the boy is in bed, we're going to sit in the garden and drink some special tea - maybe pai mu Tan, or lotus. We usually go out with a glass of wine, which then becomes a few glasses of wine, and before we know it, we've spent a fortune on wine for the week...so tea instead, nice posh tea. Much healthier and cheaper in the long run...and probably more soothing.

I'm also making the hubbys birthday list - he sent me some ideas and I'm adding some to them - although it's 2 weeks away, we'll be at the London Expo all of next weekend, so it'll be good to get this off to everyone and out of the way. I need to find our complete costumes and check them as I have no idea where the boys clothes have gone...

I have unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher. I've put a load of washing on (I'll hang it up after I get the boy from nursery). I've tidied the kitchen. The breadmaker is on (again). And now to get ready to pick up the boy :)

BM Counter
/body>